Monday, November 26, 2007

Knitting

So, you might think that since I had a nice long weekend I must have done a lot of reading but you would be wrong. In between cooking and holiday shopping, I've been knitting. And unfortunately, you can't read and knit at the same time. Last winter I started a vest for myself but I didn't finish it. Since then I've crocheted a couple of afghans (one won a Best in Division award at the country fair). Ihave to admit I'm not very good at finishing projects since I get bored, lose interest, or get stuck. I did fine until I got to the point in the project where the armholes are and couldn't understand the directions. I thought I knew what to do but I was afraid to go ahead and possibly mess it up. I finally got up the nerve to divide the work up and leave stiches on stich holders. I continued up the back part but then realized I was forgetting to decrease stiches after about six rows. I tried to decrease the rows and then read the instructions again and found I was really messing up.
Now I was really in trouble since I needed to rip out about 13 rows (of a cable stich pattern). I laid the vest out on my ironing board and carefully ripped out the rows until I got back to the place where I divided it up. Now I could start over but I couldn't get the pattern to work on the row I thought I was. I struggled and fussed and was generally unpleasant to everyone until I realized I wasn't reading the pattern right. I finally got back on track and I am moving along nicely again.
So, why do I subject myself to such toil and trouble for a hobby? I love the feel of yarn and seeing something grow under my hands. I get a lot of satisfaction out of finally understanding the pattern. And, I hope, someday, to have a pretty vest to wear.
My daughter asked me to knit her a pair of fingerless gloves to wear when she works on her laptop in the winter. She found a pattern on the Internet and we chose a yarn for it. It will be a new challenge since the pattern involves double ended needles. I have wanted to try and knit socks using double ended needles so this should be a good way to learn the process.
In the meantime, we sit under the full sized afghan on the couch, with me knitting and her working away on her laptop.

No comments: