Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I Am the Great Horse


This book is for lovers of historical fiction and horse stories. Alexander the Great's huge black warhorse, Bucephalus, is the narrator of this story which follows Alexander across Asia in his quest to conquer the world. I've read lots of animal stories written from the animals' view but I think this is the first time I've read a people story written from the animal's viewpoint. Not being a horse person I think I have learned quite a bit about the character of this noble creature and I don't think there are many horses more noble than Bucephalus was.

The story begins when Bucephalus first meets twelve-years old Alexander. Alexander sees the horse is blind in his left eye, the side most riders mount from, and is able to calm him down and mount him from the right side. This is the beginning of a relationship that lasts through battles, hardships, and victories.

I have to admit I have never been a good student of history. Too much so-and-so did such-and-such on this-or-that date for me. Give me a good story placed in history where I get to know the people, their country, their life styles and I'm much happier. One of my favorite series of books is about Horatio Hornblower who rose through the ranks of the Royal Navy on board war ships battling Napoleon and pirates. When I was in high school, I was a big reader and if I had nothing else handy to read I would pull Gone with the Wind, open it up to any page and start reading it for the upteenth time.

I wasn't able to finish I Am the Great Horse, though, because of my problem with animal stories. There is always that point in the book where tears start to fall, whether they are for happiness or sadness, it doesn't matter, and reading through tears gives me a headache! My kids tease me to no end when we watch a movie because they know the exact moment to turn around and catch me reaching for the tissues. If someone reads this book, let me know what happened after page 394.

Pick this book up for a great ride!

My rating for this book: +++

No comments: