Saturday, February 20, 2010

Witch & Wizard (2009)

To say this book by James Patterson went by fast would be an understatement. I started this book at 7:00 a.m. and finished it at 10:30 a.m. I also made breakfast, read the paper and did the crossword puzzle during that time. 107 chapters in 304 pages go by very fast. It felt like I was reading a children's book (a poor one at that) or a comic book because it felt very empty of substance.

My eyes nearly falling out of my dead in disbelief, I looked over at my sister and realized she had just hit Byron with a lightning bolt.
Lightning. A small bolt, sure, but lightning! From her fingertips!
"More proof!" Byron squeaked, his voice sounding extracrispy and his face almost purple. He was rubbing his chest, obviously horrified by the burn mark on his shirt. "You are a witch! You'll be locked up forever!" He got to his unsteady feet and staggered from the interrogation room.
"You're throwing lightning at people now?" I asked Wisty. "I mean, whoa."

Whoa, indeed. It's unfortunate, too, because there are aspects of this book that merit more investigation. Maybe the continuation of the series will give us more. The best part of the book were the lists at the end of the book including "particularly reprehensible noise polluters" and "especially offensive books".

THE PITCHER IN THE WHEAT: An immensely corruptive "coming-of-age" tale about a youth who endeavors to infect the populace with his cynicism and world-weariness.

This book would be perfect for readers who aren't very confident. They would fly through this book without much effort.

My rating for this book: ++

No comments: