Friday, January 1, 2010

Murder in the Latin Quarter (2009)

This book is the ninth in a series by Cara Black featuring a detective name Aimee Leduc and taking place in Paris. I thought for sure this would be a book for me but I couldn't finish it. First of all, I don't know what French gun laws are but I doubt seriously that a Swiss Army knife would be considered a weapon of choice by any self-respecting detective.

In almost any book, a reader has to suspend belief, especially when reading fantasy or science fiction. However, the author has to stay in bounds sometimes. The following is the passage that pushed me off the page. She is in the catacombs below Paris.

Shuffling sounds came from ahead. She froze. The yellow flare of a match sputtered, illuminating a man's face. Lined and craggy. Philibert the ghost who wandered forever in the quarry?
Then she saw blue jumpsuits, the flash of silver badges. Not ten feet away stood two catablics, the IGC who patrolled the underground.
She shut off the headlamp, blew out the candle. Edged back, trying to melt into the stone. Somehow, they hadn't seen her.


Somehow, indeed!

I can't recommend this book.

My rating for this book: +

No comments: