Monday, August 11, 2008

Momma Mia! (DVD, 2008)

The word that keeps coming back to me for this movie is "exuberant"! I think that Meryl Streep is able to add a level of dignity to every movie she is in, even the comedies, and she has shown me a new side of her with her singing and dancing. (I was surprised to learn she trained to be an opera singer when she was young.) Her character, Donna Sheridan, lives with her daughter on a small Greek island running an old inn. The story opens with 20-year old Sophie (Amande Seyfried) telling her two bridesmaids how she read her mother's diary and learned that there were three men (Pierce Brosnan, Collin Firth, and Stellan Skarsgard) who could be her father and that she sent wedding invitations to all three. Will she learn which one is her father?
This is a musical which incorporates songs originally performed by the 70s rock group, ABBA. I was a big fan of this group because their music was so sing-alongable and it was so hard to sit there during the movie and refrain from singing along.
I have to say that Pierce should stick with straight acting. But otherwise, this is a must see movie.
My rating for this movie: +++++

No comments: